If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Bridezilla

I play weddings with my string quartet during the wedding season, and I have a wedding today that is schedule to be OUTSIDE at 3:00 PM. The current forecast is for something between rain and thunderstorms starting MID AFTERNOON.

The problem with the outside wedding is, has been, and always will be the weather. Yesterday a married woman told me that it sprinkled a little during her wedding but it was no big deal. No big deal for the bride or the guests maybe, but I have a varnished wooden instrument that costs thousands and thousands of dollars. I will NOT play in the rain, and my definition of rain includes sprinkles.

Trust me bridezilla, I did you a favor by knocking $100 off the price (I totally shouldn't have, but I can really use the cash and the date wasn't booked yet) and then you are going to tell me that if it rains you'll move the wedding inside, but if it "only sprinkles" you'll just "go without." What the hell does that even mean???

She didn't give me her cell phone number, so I can't reach her. The wedding is an hour outside the city, and I have to drive the group there. With gas at $3/gallon this gig is SO not worth my time. It sounds like she's planning on stiffing me (not paying the balance) if it sprinkles and we don't play.

Also, since the forecast says it will rain and thunderstorm this afternoon, my BIGGEST concern (besides not getting paid) is that it will be nice when we get there, but the weather will turn for the worse while we're playing or mid-ceremony.

I thought I fixed my contract to acknowledge the rain issue, so why is this all so frustrating?

6 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you need a rain clause in the contract

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah, that above comment was from me

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Phaedra said...

OK, it didn't rain, and we DID get paid. All's well that ends well I suppose.

And there is a rain provision, but it's in the info request, I need to move it to the contract.

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, I missed that last line in your post. I was thinking: there's a non-refundable deposit, so put a deadline on the latest they can cancel (one day? travel time plus 2 hours for outdoor weddings?) and get their money back (minus deposit). That way EVERY conceivable excuse is covered an d in the contract. I can't remember, maybe it's already that way.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Phaedra said...

Really I should just have a lawyer look at it for me.

I love the law!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home