If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Very, Very Bad Day @ Work

I guess I never knew what the worst case scenario was for a day at my office. Well, since my boss quit and another co-worker is retiring, and the work just keeps getting dumped on me, I found out today!

I'm working on tight deadlines to schedule meetings with legal council, meet with the feds, and prepare a report for a huge state organization. My freaking e-mail would NOT work. This was slowing me down, and was super annoying.

It easily gets worse.

I got a new message and tried to open it. My e-mail did something it had never done before, it told me there was a problem and I needed to log out and log back in. Right? Wrong. I logged out and it wouldn't accept my password to get back in.

I can't even place phone calls to people without my e-mail up (as that's where all the numbers are stored) so I have to keep asking a friend (who has her own work to do) to give me numbers.

After about 2 hours with NO access to e-mail, another turn for the worse. A tech guy gets my e-mail open, and it is WIPED. As clean as the day I started over four years ago. There is nary a message in my inbox, or my sent files. ALL THE FILES my boss gave me (via e-mail of course) before he left are gone, my calendar and address book also blank.

HOLY SHIT! I am crippled without all that information.

I reported the problem (obviously) and this woman at the help desk asks me, "How soon do you need this information?" and my response is, "Immediately! I'm willing to wait as long as it takes to recover ALL of it though." The hell????

Maybe everything will be fine when I get back tomorrow. Or maybe I need a vacation for the rest of the week...

4 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man. This just adds to my paranoia about keeping paper copies of things.

I hope they get your email back quickly.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Phaedra said...

And (drum roll......) it was NOT all back or right with the world this morning!!!!!

My dad (computer guy that he is) said they have the ability to fix this, it's just a pain to do it. I've already notified my higher ups that I may need assistance in convincing them I NEED, and work NEEDS this recovery!

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Albeit, not the same, I appreciate your frustration and panic...when my computer and iPod were stolen, with all my data, leaving me with a minimal back up, I well, freaked. :( But, your dad is right. They can certianly retreive the info, it's just a matter of time and effort.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Phaedra said...

I'm back baby!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm missing a few things that happened between the crash and the ressurection, but I can live with that.

I know Jamie, your situation was terrible. I'm glad you're up and running again too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home