If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Monday, March 13, 2006

Tornado Alley

No matter where I drive alone across this country, it seems that on my way home there are almost always freaking tornadoes.

Now I have had some family members live through terrifying tornadoes on their farms, and I've heard all kinds of horror stories. I've also seen enough scary tornado movies to last a lifetime. But honestly, tornadoes freak my shit out!

Last night I was driving home from Urinetown rehearsal around 10:00 PM, and what should have been a 45 minute to an hour drive took me more like 75 minutes. It was raining something fierce and I could barely see.

The lightning was actually making things worse because it was so frequent it was having almost a strobe effect, and then it would go pitch black afterwards.

The water was accumulating (there was depth to it) on the interstate. Even though the speed limit is 65, I think I was averaging between 50-60. I even hydroplaned for a second! Not cool....

I found a semi to follow and I stayed behind it for about 50 miles. People were passing me, but I don't know how they were staying on the road even. It was so wet, and so windy. I could barely even see the road at times (which is why I was so happy to follow that semi).

I finally turned the radio on to have something else to concentrate on, besides the red tail lights of the truck, only to learn that there were SEVERE tornado warnings in the county I was in until 4:00 AM. WHY?????

One time my mom and I were driving home from Grandma's house (about 3 hours away) in a terrible rain storm and the fuse (or whatever) that makes the windshield wipers go STOPPED WORKING. Luckily, we were passing through a small town at the time, and there was a mechanic's place like 40 feet away (where they fixed it). But last night on the interstate I kept thinking, "What if that were to happen to me now? On the interstate, late on a Sunday night, and when I'm alone?"

I've driven alone across the WHOLE state of Iowa in tornadoes, from St. Louis to Chicago in tornadoes, and more... Why can't they just leave me alone? I don't want to be a fearful driver, but I kind of am.

And I feel bad for being whiney about it, since across tornado alley people probably died and were certainly injured last night, as I saw some major tornado damage on the national news this morning.

4 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Move to Cleveland! If there's one good thing about living here it's that the lake seems to moderate the weather most of the time, and we don't seem to get those drastic temperature changes that bring the big storms. Of course today they're talking about tornados, but I'm sure it won't be this far north. I asked some locals and they say there has only been one tornado in the last 20 years or something. Compare that to southern Wisconsin's average.

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... you were driving from "Urine Town".....

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Phaedra said...

I haven't made it through the whole show yet, but I think that Urinetown is New York City.

Sorry Jamie!

Rio is mentioned as paradise in the show too, which means some Latin/samba beats in a few of the numbers.

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rio as in Rye-Ohh Wisconsin? I didn't know they had a latin-american population there

 

Post a Comment

<< Home