If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Under Penalty of Jail...

I agreed to do a favor for someone I consider to be my friend at work. He asked me to review exams for a position open in his section. Me, getting to decide who gets an interview and who doesn't. I'm not in management (though I have been in the past) so I was honored to be asked.

Once I got to the conference where I would be reviewing these applications, I was made to sign an affidavit stating that I was not allowed to discuss any specifics about the selection process outside that room under penalty of JAIL! The pokey, me? But I'm too cute for jail! I was told by the three others present that they'd bring me cupcakes if I went to jail. ;)

AND I'M DYING TO DISCUSS THE SPECIFICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe next time I'm asked, I'll have to say "no."

I accidentally outed a friend's dad at work today. We had a teleconference (me, my boss, scabby, and my friend's dad) and the whole time (~40 mins) he had to keep dabbing his face with a kleenex. He was oozing liquid from near his temple. He had a similar scrape on his nose. To tell the truth it looked like he had kissed the pavement while riding his bike or some such (except I don't know that he bikes, and he wasn't injured anywhere else). It was amazingly refreshing to stare at his 2 very clean looking oozing sores rather than scabby.

He must have caught me S-T-A-R-I-N-G because as soon as we were off the phone he looked at me and said, "I had something removed the other day." and I practically screamed, "SKIN CANCER? MY MOM GETS THAT ALL THE TIME...." He followed up with, "Pre-cancerous cells."

I felt so BAD because I outed his medical condition in front of scabby (who could learn a thing or two about visiting the dermatologist).

I need to learn to be a little less vocal it would seem.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... sounds like your current workplace is quite the health hazard... as insensitive as it is... I have to admit, I especially like the name "Scabby"

More reasons, why you need a new job...good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home