If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Did Someone Say "Bar Band?"

I really don't go to tavern-type bars very often. But tonight there was a band I've been waiting to see for about 8 years at a bar that's not too far away so we went.

On the ride to the bar, MK and I talked about the possibility of meeting men. Always good to have options....

First of all, MK and I walked in and went to the bar to get drinks. I ALWAYS say that soda/pop for the driver should be free in places like this. And amazingly, it was. The band was already playing and this guy at the bar (where we were ordering drinks) was TOTALLY evil-eyeing us for getting in his line of sight. Dude, it's a band, listening is more important than seeing every second of the show. Relax, dude!

Some SUPER drunk blonde chic asks me (in German) if I speak German. I say no. But drunk chic can't leave me alone. She slurs more incomprehensible babble at me. I smile and say, "There's a guy named Biff in this band." She slurs, "Which one?" And I reply, "I don't know. One of 'em." She laughs and hugs me (?) and then starts demanding I answer some other question yes or no. YES OR NO?!?!? I tell her "I just don't know" and grab MK and get the hell away from her.

Then we went over to a less populated section of the bar (by the free popcorn machine) but there wasn't much happening over there. It sort of turned out to be the "smoking section" as all the bartenders kept coming by us to smoke (our city banned smoking in bars, but this was JUST outside our city in some other small town). In a bit, almost right in front of the stage, a group of 3 left their seats at the bar. We grabbed our coats and immediately scooped up those seats.

The band was everything that I had hoped it would be. An excellent mix of instruments, and seriously good (and well trained) musicians. MK and I continued to try to guess which of the 5 guys on stage was Biff.

At the break, musicians were wandering everywhere. I made eye contact with a guy wearing a fez hat (shriner hat?) and I tell him (with my eyes) to come and talk to me. He is about to comply when some other dude starts talking to him. Finally, one of the band guys comes and orders a drink from the bar (next to MK). I lean over and say, "Which one of you guys is Biff?" and he points to fez-hat. Ha! I bet MK that fez was bald under his hat and no sooner had I said it than the hat came off to reveal a bald head.

Biff came over and I said, "Hey Biff! You sent me an e-mail at my work about 8 years ago promoting this band. I always wanted to come and check you out, but never made it until tonight." He was astonished that I remembered the old e-mail. He remembered sending it too. We began to talk about our musical lives, and he asked if MK was a musician too, and I said that she plays a little guitar but is a big-time artist. He then asked her about her visual arts, and memorized her website address (to check her out later). The whole thing was SUPER fun and flirty.

The break was over and the band needed to play again. A couple of dorky and already pretty drunk (or possibly on X) boys came and sat (one on either side of us). The one on my side tried to smile at me with a cigarette in his mouth, and of course the lit cig fell, bouncing off the bar chair, and finally landing on the floor. He was kind of embarrassed about it. I turned to to tell MK about it just as he joined his friend next to her. That guy was wearing almost the same camo-jacket as MK. I told the boys, "One of the guys in the band is named Biff." The line seemed to be a good conversation starter. The camo-guy replied with, "My name is Cliff!" Except two seconds later someone called him Adam. Ha!

Adam and his cig-dropping friend hung around us for hours. Giggling, being goofy, spilling drinks, dropping cigs, and sharing some free popcorn. Adam kept telling MK that she had the best teeth, and best smile. It was weird. They were clearly hitting on us, but also clearly with two other young ladies. In fact, cig-dropper tried to say one of the ladies was Adam's twin sister. Except the two of them went to the dance floor and grinded whilst dancing. Hmmmm....

I spotted two older folks dancing very sexily (like snakes) and close to each other, and staring deep into each others' eyes while smirking. I told MK that they were clearly going to "do it" later on. We couldn't stop laughing.

The Adam-clan asked us if we were going to leave with them. We both laughed in their faces. Earlier, MK said they looked like they were 12 years old, and out of nowhere cig-dropper proclaimed that it ruled that he is almost 30 but still looks like he's 12. Ha!

It was the end of the band playing and I went to the ladies room. The lead singer joined me. I asked her if Biff was single (as I knew that MK was a little interested) and she told me that he's the greatest guy ever, but not even a little single. Aww.... We talked shop a little, and I was glad to meet someone with such excellent showmanship.

When I walked back over to MK, she was holding my coat and obviously ready to go quickly. I don't even need to ask such things, I just take the cue. As we were walking out the door we saw the nicest looking, probably most sober guys we saw all night. One said "hi there!" to me as we walked out the door. If circumstances were different we would have stayed and talked to those guys.

The reason we had to haul ass out of there was because Adam had fallen to the floor and tried to pull MK down on top of him. Then, his girlfriend (twin sister?) climbed on top of her to try and break it up. It was just getting too weird, almost obsessive. Too much weirdness = time to split!

I've left out so many other funny details, but needless to say, I love hanging out with MK and it was clearly a night that we'll remember.

4 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is your life a TV show yet?

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Phaedra said...

No, but last night should have been!!!!

Who can I call about that????

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice... Gomers or RPO?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Phaedra said...

RPO.

I really enjoyed the show (other than some of the non-show related spectator activity).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home