If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Friday, April 14, 2006

Bonne Chance Cherie!

Tonight I went to a going away party for my friend Cherie. She married a wonderful man and moved over a 100 miles away, and has been continuing to commute to her job, until now. She found something closer to home.

Half the party at the wine bar tonight was speaking fluent French. That doesn't happen very often!

I met an amazing woman (the wife of a man I have several mutual friends with and have met on several occasions). She just got a teaching position at Berkeley. She's fluent in several language too. She's brilliant, and beautiful, and dynamic, and sincere. I chatted with her for almost 2 hours. I asked her if she knows any amazing guys for me to date (she's so fabulous, she must know some fabulous men too).

We were talking about her new job, and all the applying and interviewing that I do. She told me that I'm such a string woman I may actually be intimidating some of the people that interview me. It's a strange thought. Much like dating, I can only be myself on those interviews. Am I TOO strong though, like abrasive or domineering? It's hard to say, interviewing is so unlike other situations, I'm TRYING to sell myself, brag a little. If I don't convince them I'm the right person, who will?

And then on my way out the door I recognized a guy from the internet (someone I've never met). Because my "game" is often lacking, I smiled dryly at him and raised my eyebrows as I left. He turned around in his chair to watch me leave and walk all the way to my car. Once I was in my car I couldn't get it together to go back, but I SHOULD have just said, "Hey there. You look super familiar, do we know each other?" DUH!

I used that "do we know each other?" line on another girl in the same wine bar about 2 hours earlier. It turned out that she is a violin player and I DO know her. She was in the youth symphony I used to manage (back in the day....). Ah, small world.

Bon voyage Cherie, et aussi, bonne chance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home