If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Thank Goodness for Seatbelts and Airbags

I got a terrifying call tonight from a friend whose entire family had been involved in a car accident.

I was CONVINCED she was going to say that someone died. Luckily, no one died. Thank God. However, she and her dad just got out of the hospital today, but her mom is still admitted.

My poor friend lost one of her kidneys, broke multiple ribs, and her left collar bone. The collar bone thing sucks eggs because she's an amazing violinist, and that's the side one holds a violin on. BUT SHE'S STILL ALIVE!

They were driving in a super safe Subaru wagon on a 2 lane county road. There were 2 cars coming from the opposite direction. One of them rear-ended the other, pushing it over the line where it hit my friend's car head on. I don't completely remember my physics, but I think that 2 cars traveling 55 mph towards each other equals the same force as one car traveling 110 mph running into a brick wall. HOLY SHIT!

I'm soooooooooooo glad that she and her family are going to be OK.

In somewhat related news, I was traveling the same stretch of geography that day, but I was on the interstate.

It just goes to show you how random these things are and how fragile life can be. I am so relieved that no one died.

1 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your well-wishes.

I should clarify that the one car rear-ended the other while the other car had it's wheels turned to turn left. This pushed it sort of perpendicular into our path. It was like hitting a brick wall at 55+. I think we probably would all be dead had it been head on like you say with 110 mph difference between the cars. Ack!

Mom is facing surgery for her broken vertebra :( Dad and I are feeling better every day.

I think I will spend the rest of my life avoiding Hwy 14, since one friend died on it and I was involved in this accident.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home