If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Sunday, July 16, 2006

JC Penny

My mom got me a couple of tank tops from JC Penny, apparently they're having a big sale. Of course, they didn't fit properly. So I had to go there myself to exchange them.

The store (on a Saturday) was completely chaotic! But there were good deals to be had, and the AC was cold, so I tried some items on.

I ended up purchasing 11 items and returning 4.

There was a line as I went to the check-out and I got the sullen teen associate. First of all, she told me that she couldn't do "an exchange." She could sell me items and then return the other items. I've worked MORE than enough retail to know this is shite, and also even if it were true she should have returned the items first (giving me $$ for the sale) but she sold me the new items first. Grrr...

She missed one of those ink tags and I pointed it out to her. The whole experience pretty much blew.

I got home, and kept thinking about my total. How had it come to $87 when everything I got was like $6 or $3? I was sitting on the couch, doing laundry and watching a movie when I got my receipt and 2 bags of clothes and dug in.

This comparison of receipt vs. tags requires the ability to read a bar code (thanks retail jobs!) which I have.

Sure enough, the receipt read $11.98 and the tag read $6.98 on the first item. I should add that the difference is even GREATER than it appears as all clearance should have been an additional 20% off (so $6.98-1.40 was what my receipt SHOULD have read). And again, I was charged $9.98 and the tag was $5.98. And on and on. Out of 11 items, I was charged correctly for THREE.

I wondered, how many people besides me were overcharged today? How many noticed?

I wrote it all out on a sheet of paper, packed up the merchandise (tags still attached) and returned to JC Penny to get my money back.

As I explained the situation to another associate she was SO helpful and apologized for the inconvenience. A dude walked by and yelled (don't forget your gift card!). It turns out if they overcharge you, you get a giftcard. I don't know how much it's for, but I got one!

I ended up getting about $40 back. Holy hell! That's a SIGNIFICANT overcharge!

In the end, I'm super happy with the clothes I got (I even got MK a HOT little number!) and the deals were great. I will shop there again (that giftcard burns a hole in my wallet) but from now on I will ALWAYS watch the numbers as they ring up.

3 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was at JCPenney this weekend. I was shopping the clearance racks to take advantage of the additional 20% off and two of my things rang up incorrectly. I am an obsessive receipt checker and I usually check the register as it is ringing up, so we got it figured out, but I was not offered any gift card!
lil t

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Phaedra said...

I think I got the gift card because I had left and then returned to fix it...

I think their policy is to give the gift card if the register charges you over the sticker price. But you have to ASK for the gift card.

That anonymous dude who walked by me and told me to get my gift card is the reason I got one.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time we go to Lowe's we get charged too many times for some item. Usually I realize it while at the register but can't think of a way to ask the clerk (usually flustered and confused anyway) without making the situation work. So we walk out the door and walk right back in, and explain to them how we only bought 3 flower pots but somehow got charged for 6 because the clerk didn't think they rung up the first time.

It pays to be vigilant. Sure, it's not much... maybe $5 here or there, but it has happened to us probably 4 times, and that's dinner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home