If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Too Young For Memory Loss

What is my problem? Sure I know a lot of people, but this doesn't often happen to me...

I was just at the farmer's market when a woman approached me and said, "Phaedra? Is that you under those funky glasses?" (note to readers: I own funky glasses, the pair I had on are pretty tame).

I said, "Yeah.... hi!"

The strange lady I can't place said, "I was wondering if I would see anyone I know here."

She had 3 kids with her, and I am RACKING my brain to think of who she is. Do I know here from school? College? Some job I once had? A friend of a friend? Through music? Nothing! I can't place her....

So she knew me, and I looked UNFRIENDLY or something because I just can't remember who she is.

Hmmm.... they say that the memory is the first thing to go.

Who? What? How do you work this new-fangled computer machine anyway?

5 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happens to me all the time... I think it's a musician thing...

I ran into the mother of one of my 6th grader's at Whole foods the other day.. she kind of smiled, I kind of smiled back... but I couldn't remember for the life of me who she was til I saw her with her daughter later in the store, then I felt really stupid and got out of there quick before they could see me again....

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Phaedra said...

Lambchops on sale now at Whole Paycheck!

You're lucky you finally saw the daughter. This woman I saw looked to be about my age, but I STILL have no idea in the world who it was.

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ergh... in April after the car accident I couldn't remember the name of the company I was supposed to call to check up on my application status. My whole family was having trouble remembering very simple things. My mom kept calling the Subaru a Toyota. I would wrack my brain for several minutes to think of something, then think to myself "ok, I'm not going to forget this" and then a few minutes later go through it all over again.

Thankfully that got better along with everything else.

I'm HORRIBLE with faces and names. I average about 60 students a semester, and I see them a total of 7 times. It takes me the whole semester to get them all down, and then as soon as the next semester starts I forget it all and see them on campus and smile stupidly.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger just sam said...

It's constantly happening to me. I run into people who clearly know me and I hav NO IDEA who the hell they are. Once an older woman started talking to me in the grocery store about some of the bikes we sell at the shop and was calling me by name. This went on for like ten minutes before I broke down and said something like I'm sorry but I can't remember your name. Then she tells me we haven't met she knows me from the TV commercials. That freaked me out for a bit.

Hey Phaedra I put a link to your blog on mine. Just so ya know.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had another one of these moments today. This woman at the bus stop asked me "Were you the one out here in the rain the other day?"

Since it rained for like 2 weeks straight, it could have been me, but I don't remember the woman AT ALL. Maybe she just saw me all soaking wet the day it rained horizontal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home