If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Monday, July 03, 2006

B-A-N-J-O!

If you sing the Bingo was his name-o song except replace the Bingo with "Banjo" then you have an idea of what my day was like yesterday.

It began last week to be fair. I met a guy, and Banjo is his new nick-name-o! I love that, and he moderately dislikes the name, but humors me by allowing me to call him that.

Sunday morning he picked me up at 5:50 AM to leave for Indianapolis. His brother's girlfriend lives there and we went to meet them for a grand prix race at Indianapolis motor speedway. http://www.usgpindy.com/

There was a huge accident in the first lap which was hard to watch. We stayed for about 30 some laps, and got to see 3 pit stops. Those pit crews are AMAZING and so fast. They change 4 tires and get like 30 gallons of gas pumped into the car in SEVEN seconds, it's nuts). People around us were pretty drunk, which loses its charm quickly. I must have sweat/melted off about 5 lbs. It was like 100 degrees in the sun. We didn't stay for the end, we left after seeing the pit stops.

Then we went on the backwoods adventure to pick up Brie. It was really hard to find this place and we had to take THREE unmarked gravel roads to get there. When we arrived I was way less than impressed with the whole set up. They were hosing down kennels, so all 20 of their dogs were chained up outside. It was still like 100 degrees in the sun. The first dog we saw was a nursing mom with a festering wound on her side. I was instantly put off.

The whole thing was too sketchy. Brie wasn't that interested in me and then she began squatting. She must have squatted to pee about 10 times in 10 minutes. How in the hell was I going to take a dog like that home on a 6 hour car ride? Aldo played it smart when I picked him up, he came right to me and licked my face. I wasn't sure if this dog would be trainable...

I felt torn, on the one hand I wanted to save her, and on the other it seemed like it could be a total disaster.

I told Banjo that I needed him to tell me it was OK not to take her home. He said, "I didn't wat to say anything, because it's your decision. But she doesn't seem too into you, and I think there's a better dog for you out there. Somewhere there's the perfect dog with your name on it. It's OK to tell them no."

This was our third "date." But god, it's nice to meet someone who can support me that way.

I told the rescue woman that I was concerned that Brie needs medical attention with all the squatting and I was sorry that I wasn't going to take her. It really was the right thing to do. My little girl doggie is out there somewhere for me. I just need to keep my eyes and ears open.

So I spent over 16 hours with Banjo yesterday, and we're going out again either tomorrow or later this week. I like him, and apparently we can stand each other for a mega long day together. Always a good thing.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger just sam said...

Congrats on BANJO and you made the right decision about the girl dog. WOW a new pet and a guy in one day. Glad it worked out so well that can be really touchy. Have fun and don't forget to give us the news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home