If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Snatched Away...

I was coming here to write about my 4th of July, which after having multiple plans somehow ended up being me and Aldo in my driveway watching the nearby show. My new house is pretty close to the park where they have the fireworks, and amazingly Aldo was interested in watching (and listening) to them. So many dogs are freaked out by them, but he's my special little guy.

The whole 4th of July story seems meaningless when I learned this afternoon that one of my friends at work died on Sunday. Paul was 61 years old (although I read that in the obit, I never would have guessed he was over 50). There was a head-on collision on a nearby two lane highway, and even though he was wearing his seatbelt, he died. So did the other driver (who was not wearing a seatbelt).

Paul and I were JUST talking last week about how we need to sign up to take our insurance continuing ed classes together (we took them together two years ago). *sigh*

He was so friendly, and vibrant, and full of life just last week. It doesn't make sense that he was snatched away so suddenly. I still can't believe that I won't see him ever again. My heart goes out to his family.

The whole accident reminds me of Musevia's accident too. God, even though there were great injuries, she and her family were so lucky it wasn't worse.

I guess life is fragile and none of us should EVER take our loved ones for granted. Go now and give someone you love a big hug or kiss!

2 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Paul.

Yes, my family and I are very lucky. Had we hit something a little heavier, like an SUV, it might have ended differently.

Two lane highways are scary. As much as I used to fear the interstate, now that I live in Cleveland and I'm used to driving on multiple interstates to get anywhere, I think they're safer. If you hit someone on the interstate it's much more likely to be someone going your own direction, and speeds aren't much faster than the 55mph on some of the two-laners.

My fiance and I were talking about driving yesterday. He had a relatively minor accident, and he says it scared him to realize that you can cause an accident just because you make a mistake, not because you're a bad driver or stupid. Add up all the people making mistakes to those who ARE stuipd, bad drivers, and distracted by everything other than driving, and it's a miracle we don't have more accidents.

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences to you and all of the employees in your department on the loss of a co-worker and friend; I am not certain if I have met Paul or not however; I will search the orbits for a photo. Yes I agree it is our responsibility to look out for ourselves as well as the other drivers we encounter on the road; my friends laugh at me for not owning a car and for taking public transportation but the odds are in my favor being that I would have to drive 30 miles a day not to mention the traffic I would encounter on those weekends when certain people want to use certain street as speedways. We traveling I fly if possible because I am much safer up there than on some busy highway full of irrate drivers, drunks, cell phone gabbers and a host of other drivers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home