If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Dog Savior

I was on my way to babysit for my favorite niece Esse today, when I spotted a white pit bull/beagle mix looking dog sniffing a tree in front of a nearby middle school. There wasn't a person with the dog, but the dog had tags on.

I turned my car around and drove back by the dog. We were on a pretty busy street (most traffic is going about 40 mph and it's 4 lanes wide) so I was really worried about the dog getting hit. I threw my car into park (but left it running) and grabbed my cell phone (to call the # on the tags) and some treats that I keep in the car.

I hopped out of the car and ran as close as I could to the dog and squatted down (to make myself little) and said, "Hi doggie, come. Want a treat?"

The dog wagged its tail at me and circled me before coming close enough that I could grab the collar.

As soon as I had the dog I called its owner. The dog's name was Geordie. The phone call went like this:

Some guy: hello?

Me: I have your dog Geordie!

Some guy: What?

Me: Do you have a dog named Geordie?

Some guy: Yeah.

Me: Well I found her running outside, we're by the school.

Some guy: I don't know how that happened, she's supposed to be in the house.

Me: Is the address on this tag your current address?

Some guy: Yeah.

Me: I'll bring her home.

So I dragged her to my car (she wasn't so sure about that....) and then said the best words to say to a dog, "Wanna go for a ride?" She leapt into my van.

I drove her home and put a leash on her (thanks to my guys, I have several in the car) and walked her to the front door.

A woman answered and Geordie just ran right in! The lady said she didn't know how the dog got out and thanked me.

I told her that I've had a dog run off and would die if something happened to one of mine, so I was happy to return her.

It doesn't seem right, they didn't even know the dog was out, and based on the street she had already crossed, it was only a matter of time until she got hit by a car. They didn't seem grateful enough.

Geordie is a sweet dog, and I know that I saved her life today. I guess I was in the right place at the right time (and I was a dog person at the right time too).

1 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about putting good karma out there. Yay you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home