If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Doing What Works for Me

I was reminded (by a professional no less!) yesterday that it is not only OK to say No sometimes, but the only way to actually get the desired results sometimes.

There has been a struggle in my family (like the sharks and the jets) recently, and it's between the hometowns (little dogs) and the relocators (big dogs). No shit. We're fighting over where the dogs go when we visit each other. Although SOMEHOW the past four visits have all been ME having to bend over backwards (even the week after my appendectomy) to accommodate the little dogs while screwing over the big dogs (and sometimes myself) in the process.

IN ANY CASE, this year, 2008, I will be choosing to do what works for me more often. I will say no when I want to (and mean it) and stand by it. When a door shuts, people will generally go find another one to open. So everyone can get ready to put on their problem-solving hats and find ways to accommodate each other. I'm not bending over backwards anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home