If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I was so "Careful" that I got sloppy!

I was making some copies of my resume at WORK yesterday because I was both applying for a new job there and interviewing for a different job over lunch. I was so careful that no one saw what I was doing, or the finished work product. I cleared the copier before I went quietly back to my desk and back about my business.

A few minutes later the boss of my boss' boss (three guys above me) walks into my cube and HANDS ME MY RESUME. He says, "Here, you left this original on the copier, whatever it is. I thought you might like to have it back."

Shit!

I collected my thoughts for about 5 seconds and chased after him explaining myself with "Look, this is kind of awkward, and I'm embarrassed about this situation, but I'm applying for a promotion, another job in your department."

He replied with "Oh good. Glad to hear it, I didn't really look at your papers back there."

Dude, it was a big freakin' resume with my name and address
centered in BOLD
on the top of the page. He had to know what it was, or he's an idiot.
Now here's the new worry.... will he mention this to my boss or keep it all hush-hush? I simply don't need my boss to know that I'm looking elsewhere unless I actually SECURE a new job. Then he can know....
The interview later in the day went quite well. But they will be doing second rounds where the top 5 compete for one sole job. Here's hoping!

2 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got to be more careful! Now you and I both know that it is never wise to do any of our personal work at work, especially when we are applying for other jobs rather it be departmental or otherwise. There was no need for you to apologize to the guys in your department, if he wants you to believe that he hadn't read your resume, then act like it. Trust and believe it is not the first time that has happen. I left my disc with my resume in the computer at work with the intentions of updating my resume during a break and I found out the next day when a co worker stated " hope you get the job you're after." My thoughts were F_c_ em!

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! Good luck.

I don't have that problem so far. Everyone at work (school) knows I'm looking for a job, and the printers never work there so I'm always printing out resumes at home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home