If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Sunday, April 23, 2006

At Last, My Keys are Found




I carry my keys on a carabiner (like rock climbers use to clip to their safety lines). It's convenient, because if I ever need to take one off (loaning my car to a parent, or going out for the night and wish to lighten the key-load) it's beyond easy. Perhaps that is also the problem.

While I was doing my Urinetown show, one night I got home to my parents house (to pick up Aldo) and I noticed that not only was my keychain way the hell too light, but I was missing the key to their house.

I knew that I had my keys when I left work because I locked up my filing cabinet on my way out the door. So somewhere between work and the next 6 hours and 130 miles I lost them.

The keys I lost were my parents' house key, my filing cabinet key for work (official government property!!!) and this awesome antique key (sort of like the photo above) from my family's business. It has our initial carved through it, and is a seriously awesome key. It no longer opens anything (that I'm aware of) but it's decorative and sentimental to me.

I figured that when I was loading the bass in the car, the carabiner must have hooked on the case (or something), opened, released those three keys, and closed again. I still had my car keys, which was why I didn't notice until I got home.

I told everyone in the production to keep their eyes out for my keys, and a week later no one had found them. =( Part of why this whole situation bothered me so much was that it showed weakness on the part of me and my frazzled brain. It is SO unlike me to lose something as important as my keys. I'm way more responsible than that!

Meanwhile, I had gotten locked out my parents' house TWICE since this happened.

On a whim, I called the lost and found office one last time, and behold! They have my keys! And I have another gig there in a week, so I'll pick them up then. Amazing!

2 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fantastic!!! Go lost and found!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Phaedra said...

I still don't understand how I asked 2 different faculty members (who are on campus) to help me find them, and I have to make a phone call from 60 miles away to git-er-dun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home