If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Holy bags of crap!

Apparently, when a closet is ignored for too long bad, scary things can happen.

My mom went out of town for her birthday, which gave my dad and I an opportunity to clean three decades of "stuff" from his closet. Mom gets weird about getting rid of things, so dad and I had to plan operation "closet purge" for when she wasn't home.

We started the fun at 7:00 PM and finished at 11:30. HOLY CRAP!

We filled a whole outdoor sized trash can (although it's a recycle can) with magazines and clothes catalogs from 1987-1995. Seriously.

We purged three large garbage bags of trash. Shoes that had been partially eaten by dogs, etc....
We collected 5 bags of items to sell on e-bay.

We found a large (15" x 25" ??) photo that my dad took of my mom WAAAAAAAAAAY before I was a glimmer in their eyes. We framed and hung it.

We collected and donated TWENTY SIX bags of clothes to GoodWill. Also to GoodWill: a bag of shoes, a bag of books, a briefcase, and a knee brace.

The whole process was amazing. Baby steps... we need to do this process ALL over my parents' house. But this was an impressive start!

2 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Chet said...

I have a strange feeling that your mom is going to raise a fuss if she discovers your plan to do this to her entire house; you got away with the closet now relax; otherwise Mom might decide to really clean house if you know what I mean... put both of you out!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Phaedra said...

Chet, she can't put me out, I don't live there!!!!

She claims that she'll let me help her (only when she's home!) but I'll believe it when I see (and do) it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home