If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Blink!


If you haven't read "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell yet, hurry up and get your hands on it!

I have book club this evening, and for the first time in a while I read the book! "Blink" is sooooo good! It talks about first impressions, or gut reactions to things. There's a lot about these first reactions based on race, or sex, or education or income level.
There is a section or two about police officers and police protocol for different situations (traffic stops, anything involving a suspect with a gun) and it's all so interesting.
There's also a section for me about orchestra auditions. They do most of them "blind" these days (with the person auditioning behind a screen so the judges don't know who it is). I guess women were really being discriminated against and not hired even when they were the best candidate simply because they were women.
You should read the book, it's WAY better than I'm describing it. And Malcolm is a cool guy too. =)


2 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blink is on my reading list of books for this summer. Thankz for sharing.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Phaedra said...

Chet!!! I miss you!!!! Send me an e-mail sometime, the address I have for you isn't working.

You're going to love Blink. Move it to the top of your list. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home