If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Friday, September 21, 2007

My BIG adventure

When I was a kid I used to go exploring.  And somehow I always knew to check doors before I went through them.

This morning I was home at Jamie's place and he and Chris both went to work leaving me with little Dottie.  After they had been gone for about 4 or 5 hours I thought that I should take her out for a walk.

For a brief second I thought about taking my purse or cell phone, but I didn't.  I almost didn't wear a bra!  But I managed to get dressed, leash up Dottie and head out the front door.
I undid the deadbolt and walked out.  I tried the knob behind me and it was LOCKED!

LOCKED!  

I had just talked to Jamie on the phone before I walked outside and told him, "It's OK that your meeting is going into the afternoon, I'm fine here!"

And now I'm locked outside with no purse, no cell phone, and a little pug dog for WHO KNOWS how long!!!

PANIC!!!

Of course I instantly had to use the ladies room.  Hold that thought....

So I tried the upstairs neighbors' doorbell and knocked a bunch of times.  They are the landlords after all.  But of course, they weren't home.

I had seen the next door neighbor yesterday when I arrived so I thought I would go see if anyone had a spare key or knew how to get a hold of the landlords.

Two brownstones down a nice couple let me use their cell phone to call my mom (because she had Jamie's number and without my phone I didn't).  She gave me the number and I called.  Of course I got his voicemail because he was in a MEETING!

Another neighbor (Hugh) gathered around and he called the landlords and left a message on my behalf.  Hugh said that I could wait in his house, which was a LIFESAVER!

I talked a lot with Hugh.  His 2 floors of the brownstone has never been renovated, he bought it for only $11,000 back in the day... he doesn't have kids, his sister still lives in Great Brittan, and one of his cats is at the vet today, possibly dying.  AND HE STILL WANTED TO HELP ME!
The best part is, that since I had Jamie's dog with me, my story checked out better.  I didn't seem like a burglar.

Hugh and I tried to call Martha Stewart to get a hold of Jamie, but again I only got his voicemail.  Hugh made me some tea to pass the time...

Finally I asked Hugh if I could use a ladder to scale the 10 foot fence between the gardens.  I could see a window open in the back of Jamie's place.

Hugh got me a full size ladder and a blanket to put across the top of the fence as to not impale myself on the picketed top as I climbed over.

I have NO IDEA how I climbed over or got down on the other side (but I'm glad I was wearing a bra for all this acrobatic activity).  Sure enough, the screen popped right out and I got in!

SUCESS!!!

I ran to the front of the hose and unlocked the door knob lock (stupid thing) and went back over to Hugh's to retrieve Dottie.  He said that she went CRAZY when I went over the fence! This whole ordeal lasted about an hour and a half.

I guess that most people are helpful and kind.  I was so appreciative of all the assistance I got from Jamie's neighbors.  And Hugh has a big thank-you package coming his way as soon as I get home.

2 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no pictures of you scaling the fence? I'm disappointed.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Phaedra said...

If only!!!!

I'll tell you what, it was an amazing feat to behold and only Hugh, Dotie the dog, and some painter guy saw it. I wish I could have seen it (instead I lived it baby!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home