If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Monday, May 01, 2006

Spelling Police

I freely admit that I'm not the grammar police. Or even necessarily the spelling police (I love spellcheck though!). But in any case, getting the forms of words wrong, the incorrect usage of the words that sound alike when said, but not written, is a huge pet peeve.

Examples: You're (contraction for YOU ARE)
Your (something that belongs to YOU)

To (preposition, check this for details: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=to )
Too (same thing as ALSO)
Two (the number after 1 and before 3)

And of COURSE the: There, Their, and They're debacle.

I received a professional, business e-mail that said,
"There on there way."

GOD does reading that pain me! They got the version of "there" wrong TWICE!!!!! They're on their way perhaps????? How do people function and get jobs writing that way?

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite is lose vs. loose. A lot of people get those confused, but I've never understood why.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Phaedra said...

And choose and chose. I see that from time to time as well.

Oh yeah, and conscience vs. conscious.

Such a turn off when they get it wrong in their profiles too!

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lyfe aynt uh spellin bea, git ovur yurself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home