If you didn't know it before now, it's news

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Musical Red Slippers

I went to the symphony last night (FABULOUS by the way) with my friend E who recently returned from almost a year in France. It was great to see her, and nice to attend the symphony with someone who has also played in a symphony and played several of the pieces. I know that I enjoy hearing something performed that I've already played, I don't know if others feel that way or not.

Anyway, the Schubert Unfinished was pretty good. I would guess that it's such standard rep that they didn't spend much time rehearsing it. It showed in a few of the violin entrances too. Not that I'm perfect or anything, I keep auditioning and can't get in! But I still know my shit.

The finale, Stravinsky's Firebird Suite was fucking awesome! I love that piece and they did a great job. I was surprisingly moved at the end.

For the piano concerto, the soloist certainly had his own fashion flair. He walked on stage with a black sparkly jacket, black pants, black shirt, and RED VELVET SLIPPERS! Ha! I couldn't tell if he did this for any kind of practical reason (so that even in the balcony people could see his feet) or if he was just into those shoes. He was great, and reluctantly did a little encore at the prompting of the standing O. All in all a great night with great company!

I played a rehearsal for a new youth orchestra the other night. They don't have any kids playing the bass so I've been called in as a ringer for the end of the year concert. They're playing some Star Wars medly, a great Mozart piece, Barber of Seville, something I've never seen before, and this crazy Vivaldi violin concerto (I think a college student it playing the solo). I've had the music for a month, and kept meaning to be more professional about the whole thing and you know, PRACTICE. But sadly, I never got to it.

The cello section is three girls, one of driving age ( would guess 16 or 17) and one in 6th grade and one in 7th grade. The 6th grader doesn't read music well (not good when you're trying to play a super hard accompaniment to a Vivaldi violin concerto). I turned into a little bit of a task-master with my shouting out "B flat!" over and over again at these poor girls during rehearsal. But I only have one rehearsal to learn this music and the concert is in the middle of next week.

I learned something really important at this rehearsal: I would ALWAYS rather be the worst player in a group than the best. ALWAYS. Being the best means that I can follow the conductor and know that I have the right rhythm and intonation (I'm in tune dude, I swear!) but if everyone else (or even half of them) are off, it sounds like a cluster (even though I'm right on). So I'm trying to play really loudly, and clearly, hoping that some of the kids will hear me and change whatever it is they're doing wrong. But they may not have that skill yet. It comes in time. They're probably still all wrapped in their own minds, staring at the page (and not the conductor) and just playing away.... without any awareness, without a care in the world....

I also had a moment of clarity/perfection at that rehearsal. It was the middle of the first movement of the Vivaldi and EVERYONE drops out except for me, the 1st cellist and the soloist. Somehow, even though I was sightreading I began nailing EVERYTHING. I was hitting all the notes. Even consciously, I knew it was a moment of absolute perfection (and that felt so amazing). I've never hit so many notes (let alone ALL of them!) in such a high pressure sight reading situation before. And I couldn't brag about it to anyone because I really shouldn't have been sight reading! God it felt good to be so "on" like that though!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to practice before the concert (because that's what being paid to be a professional is all about).

3 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world.... We have our big end of the year Grades 4-12 concert this week.... not sure if I'll survive

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for professionalism!

I am definitely one of those people who enjoys hearing pieces they've played. If I didn't play the violin, I would probably feel so-so about classical music.

I always enjoy watching bows at orchestra concerts. With the exception of split sections, you can tell a lot about why you are hearing what you're hearing by watching the bows. It might be hard to watch bass bowing.

Is E back for good? I hope she had a good time in France.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Phaedra said...

E is indeed back, at least for now. I'm going to help her try to find a job to make sure I can keep her here for good!!!!

Bass bowings are impossible to watch when the line the section up behind the horns like they've been doing lately...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home